Monday, April 4, 2011

Proposed plan towards completion of my thesis

Dear readers / myself,

This is a draft, nonetheless, an important one. The one that will help me break the vicious cycle of the Kharagpur academia and launch me out of this orbit into an outer trajectory. But first I must access my status and put down critical commentary on the state of my thesis, like a check-list perhaps, ticking down every bit as and when they are closed.

There are two fundamental flaws with the thesis that may attract severe reviewers' criticism - one qualitative and one quantitative.
a) Qualitative - The explanation provided rarely touches upon the physics of the system. Also, most of the outcomes have been stated like observations rather than legitimate explanations. Not many of these can be fixed but I can make an assessment of the situation and work on these shortcomings. I must do this when I am off the computer and hence I need a hard copy of the entire thesis in its current state - or at the very least the results and discussions section.
b) Quantitative - Earlier, I had decided that putting a layerwise analysis would complete the work. However, many reviewers have pointed out that damping is an important part of the analysis. Hence, putting down a damping parameter is very very important. No matter how short the treatment may be, it cannot be ignored.

About the work left in general, it all boils down to sensible, chosen iterations. Although, logically, the damping effect must preceed the layerwise damage analysis, I do not have a formulation at hand that can address this issue. Hence, I will have to work these topics in reverse order.

For damping cases -
1) See Ravi Kumar's thesis for damping cases in follower forces. What parameters did he take into account?
2) See Udar's thesis for damping cases in parametric resonance. What are the cases he had iterated for?

For the layerwise analysis I am on my own. I had taken specific cases for free vibration and buckling problems, for the parametric resonance problems and for the follower force problems. I will be advisible to write all viable cases on a piece of paper.

Beyond this there are three more important sections - The "objective of present work" section which must succeed the literature review. Then there is a conclusion which is a mandatory section by any standards. Finally, a "future scope of work" that must close the body of the written text. Without the objective and future scope, the institute will not even let the thesis pass through the general scrutiny phase.

Regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment