Thursday, February 17, 2011

Searching for a new DAW

Dear readers,

Before I start, I must explain that the versions I am writing about are old ones and may not reflect the current trends in the respective DAWs.

I have been a big fan of Nuendo 3. It did what it did and it did that well. In earlier days of the In the Box or ITB audio production, the choice of a multitrack software was virtually non-existent. In those days I used n-Track. I don't remember the exact version but I remember hating its look, its controls and worst of all, its workflow. So much so, that after I had recorded the tracks, I exported stems and mixed them separately in Sony Vegas. Yup! a video editing software that had marginally better multitracking and routing capabilities than n-Track (Current version Studio 6.1.1).

An year and half later, I came across Nuendo 3. Back then I did not know that Nuendo was the big brother of Cubase and that the former was a video/audio post production suite while the latter was Steinberg's flagship DAW. I was quite happy with the software and went on to produce and record albums on it. Few years later, I had a chance of getting my hands onto Nuendo 4. What I stater hating about it was the fact that writing music is a painful action on Nuendo 4. Back in the old days, I loved the liberation Nuendo 3 had given me but the same feature rich baggage was something that is a composer's nightmare. The splash screen stays on for eternity. I have nothing against Cubase/Nuendo as a production software. I just don't believe it is a good tool for writing and scribbling ideas. (Current version Cubase 6/Nuendo 5)

I am well aware that many bands like Linkin Park work with Pro Tools and do the same job faster and better. (Two points here- a)I don't like them much except for their first album. b)They are rich dudes). See here and here

So, I'm off to test the first candidate for the new decade. REAPER.

Regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment